Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yates is Tyring to Recover the Sunken S.S. Harmony

               This weekend when I was channel surfing, I switched to ABC family and to my extreme delight realized it was HARRY POTTER WEEKEND!  Not only was I excited for hours of Harry Potter movies for three straight days, but they were also showing sneak peeks for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2.  These small two minute previews are very scarce throughout the weekend, so when I happened to catch one I was giddy as a school-girl.  However, while watching the clip my excitement slowly began to disappear. 

                Watching this clip made me realize how much I can hate what this director does at times and how many liberties he takes.  The whole video was explaining a scene that occurred in the last movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1.  It was actually a scene that didn’t happen in the book, but David Yates, the director, wanted to add it in for some reason.  Maybe he thought it would add to the story…but it didn’t.
 
                The newly added scene happened shortly after Ron left Harry and Hermione because of an argument.  Hermione was devastated that Ron had left them because there was no way for them to find Ron and no way for Ron to find them. The new scene started with Hermione sitting in the tent fidgeting with the radio they had.  You could tell she was obviously distraught over Ron being away.  As she was fidgeting a song came in over the radio, so Harry went over to her and started to dance with her.  The scene wasn’t horrible by any means; it was sort of cute because they looked so funny dancing.

                The part that made me mad was that at the end they get really close together making it look like they are more than friends.  If they would have just stayed dancing in a fun way it would be different, but they just had to get close.  THAT IS COMPLETELY WRONG!  Hermione and Harry have only ever been friends through the whole series.  Hermione has always liked Ron and Ron has always like Hermione.  J.K Rowling has always put it so that Hermione and Ron liked each other.  She never wrote Harry and Hermione together; plus in the last book Harry likes Ginny. 

Rowling even said, “Yes, we do now know that it is Ron and Hermione. I do feel that I have dropped heavy hints. ANVIL-sized, actually, hints, prior to this point. I certainly think even if subtle clues hadn't been picked up by the end of “Azkaban,” that by the time we hit Krum in Goblet..." Its not rocket science, but Yates was commenting on the clip about how he thinks there relationship is fascinating because there is the close friendship aspect, but at the end you see there could be something more.  I was just sitting there thinking, “WOW….Did he even read the books?”  That being added into the movie just gives the Hermione/Harry shippers more ammunition for their disproved belief that they are still clinging onto.   

In an interview with MTV, Yates talks about a deleted scene that in part of the DVD version. "There are a couple of things that we've lost that just didn't quite survive," he said. "I did this wonderful scene between Hermione and Ron. I wanted to explore their relationship a little bit more, so when Ron leaves it really breaks your heart."  WHY would you delete that scene and keep in this dancing one.   The scene between Hermione and Ron relationship is at least real.  They have few moments where Ron and Hermione flirt in the movies, so why not show that they are going to be together.  Not a scene that shows how Harry and Hermione's relationship could be more!  

He went on to say that they only kept things they felt were really important.  I am still confused on how the dance scene is more important than one that involves Hermione and Ron's relationship.  However, I have gone on enough about this and there is nothing I can do about it.  Tell me you thoughts on this matter.  

1 comment:

  1. I had to watch and comment on this. I don't think they looked like they were interested in each other. I just thought it was a sweet tension-reliever. In the books, the necklace made them feel crappy, so I thought this moment of happiness was completely appropriate. ^_^

    ReplyDelete