Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Before Movie :D During Movie :/ 5 Minutes After Movie :( 10 minutes After Movie :)

                  Every time a Harry Potter movie comes out in the theatre, I always get extremely excited.  The amount of hype that goes into promoting the movies gets me every time.  From the high-resolution stills that have me guessing to the new trailers that leave me jumping in my seat.  However, even with all of the hype, for the last several movies I have found myself disappointed afterwards.  Either because they left out or messed up my favorite part from the book or royally screwed up some important plot line. 
                  Don’t get me wrong, the movies are amazing, but there is always that tiny bit they mess up.  However, that tiny scene they screw up is usually an important or pivotal part of the story.  That can drop my excitement level from over 100 percent to in the negatives.  For instance, when I saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, there is one part in the book that I was looking forward to the most.  The scene was where Harry entered the memories of his most hated teacher, Professor Snape.  In the memory, Harry witnessed his parents when they were young.  Harry’s dad and his friends were having an argument with the younger Snape, which ended up with Snape getting de-pantsed. 
                  I remember sitting in the theatre in anticipation for that scene and when it finally came, it was gone before I could blink.  The whole scene was only about 15 seconds.  I sat there in disbelief that they could destroy such a scene.  Not only is it funny, but it happens to be a very important scene that explains so much in the end.  
 
                  Another thing that the Harry Potter movies do is screw up is death scenes.   So far they have messed up two and it looks like they are going to mess up another.  In Order of the Pheonix, Harry’s Godfather Sirius Black, gets killed and it was done badly.  Sirius was the closest thing that Harry had to a real family and they don’t make it seem that way.  Partly because the movies don’t get you as emotionally attached to the character as they should. The other part is because Harry was supposed to explode at Dumbledore in his office because he was partly to blame.  That scene would have given the movie the emotion needed to portray Harry’s feeling of losing such an important person to him.  It would have given it a lot more impact.  Instead, he sat in the office for ten seconds and sat there like an empty shell.  

                  The second death scene that they screwed up was Dumbledore’s, which I couldn’t fathom because the scene before it was perfect.  The cave scene right before looked like it was ripped directly from the pages.  I was so giddy with excitement, but I should have known it was too good to be true.  What happened afterward is what killed my high.  Harry was supposed to be magically bound and hidden while Dumbledore was facing his doom.  However, in the movie he just stood there hidden and watched.  There is no way, absolutely no way that the Harry Potter from the book would have done that.  Plus, to top it all off, Harry saw Snape before he even went up to the tower and did nothing.  Then, after Dumbledore fell to his death, there was supposed to be a big battle scene.  It didn’t happen.  They didn’t even give Dumbledore his funeral.   I couldn’t believe it.

                  After I saw Deathly Hallows part 1, my hopes for the final film lifted.  I began to hope that it will be just as good to the book as the first part.  However, my hope is slowly fading.  I keep seeing new stories where the creators talk about the movie and I saw one that other day that almost killed my hope completely.  They are changing the way Snape dies.  Snape is in my top favorite character list and if I don’t cry when he dies, I will walk out of the theatre.  Plus, his death is an extremely important part in the plot.  Snape is supposed to die in the Shrieking Shack, but they are changing it to a crystal house.  The way the art director was describing it, it seems that Harry will see Snape’s death from a distance.
                  How can they do that, Harry is supposed to be right there when Snape dies.  Close enough that afterwards, Harry can get to Snape and his memories before he dies.  I just don’t understand how they can do this, but I cannot pass judgment on it until I see the movie.  Since the Deathly Hallows is filled with death, it makes me nervous to get my hopes up for the movie. There is also a few other things that I noticed in the trailer for the Deathly Hallows that makes me doubt it, but I know in the end I will get my hopes up.  Hopefully, the film can prove me wrong and I can leave the theatre happy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment