Wednesday, February 16, 2011

No More Books :( but more Jo Writing :)


            The day that I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I sat there for a long time looking at all the books.  I had finished the series.  There were no more Harry Potter books coming out.  I was hoping that when I got to the end of the last chapter I would read something along the lines of, ‘just kidding, this isn’t the real last book.  The real one will be coming out soon!’  Or even, ‘ok now I am going to write Harry Potter 8,’ but it didn’t happen.  I read the epilogue, based nineteen years in the future and that was it.  No more Harry Potter.

            I, as well as many other fans wish that she would continue writing about the world of Harry Potter because she could ride that train for the rest of her life.  There are so many things that she could write multiple books for.  Jo could write on Harry’s parents in Hogwarts and afterwards.  The founders of Hogwarts, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Gryffindor could have their own story.  Jo could write about Dumbledore’s life because he was such an interesting and influential character.  She gave us a glimpse into his life and it was like she was teasing us.  She could do the same with Voldemort.  There are so many more questions she could answer.  The last thing she could potentially write about is the lives of Harry’s children.

            In an interview with Oprah, Jo said that after she had finished writing, she spent so long with Harry that she had to mourn him afterwards.  She also said that she could easily write a Harry Potter eight or nine, but she feels that she is done.   WHY would she tell us that!  That is like dangling a piece of meat to a hungry lion and then taking it away!

            Luckily, Jo is doing something for all of her fans even after she finished with The Deathly Hallows.  She is writing a Harry Potter encyclopedia.   Jo has said she "intends to publish a definitive guide to all of the creatures, characters, places, and other elements that comprise the Harry Potter world."  It should be published in a few years, but no definitive date has been decided yet.  I will be waiting in line for this book at midnight just like I did for the last Harry Potter.  

            Along with writing the Harry Potter series, she also wrote some small books based off of the series.  These include Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and The Tales of Beedle the Bard.  Qudditch Through the Ages, is written as if were a book taken from Hogwarts itself.  It explains the history of broomsticks and the evolution of Quidditch.  Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is the most complete A to Z book of magical creatures.  The Tales of Beedle the Bard, is actually a wizarding fairy tale book that is mentioned in The Deathly Hallows.



            As of right now, Jo said she is in the works with several new projects.  In an interview with BBC she said, "I don't know when you'll get to read it.  I've got several things going on at once. So it's hard to know which will be the first to actually appear in print, but yeah, I'm writing hard."  I for one cannot wait to read what she comes up with, but I don’t believe anything else she writes will trump Harry Potter.  It was her diamond in the rough.   However, since she is my idol I will continue to read what she writes.  I just wish they were all Harry Potter related. 
            .

No comments:

Post a Comment